Sunday, December 23, 2007

First Car!

After quite a bit of searching over two days, I finally managed to dig up a picture of my first car - affectionately called Shadowfax. The name stuck because of the following description from Wikipedia on Shadowfax - No Man could tame Shadowfax. He would not tolerate a bridle or saddle and only carried Gandalf by choice.

A willing partner-in-crime for almost everything, she has once helped me win a bet that I could drive all the way from home to Besant Nagar Beach in top gear - no stops , no downshifts anywhere... Here's the route map - starting from the 6th Main Road on the left all the way to the Schmidt memorial (on the beach) on the right!

Route Map:



View Larger Map

Also party to a broken linkage rod from the shift lever to the gearbox (read - stuck in one gear) I've driven all the way from Mount Road into my garage in Adyar! The clutch did not give way after that feat and lasted all the way to a ass-out drive of 700 kms in sweltering heat from Chennai to Cochin at the end of my Chennai stay...

Mount Road to Adyar: (Thousand Light on top to Kasturibai Nagar at the bottom)



View Larger Map

Chennai to Cochin: (Chennai - Ambur - Erode - Coimbatore - Cochin)




View Larger Map

It's been an honor, old friend - no other vehicle will be as dear to me as you. I wish you were here with me now.


1 comment:

Maya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.